The Megan’s Law Unit administers and enforces all legal requirements regarding Megan’s Law in Ocean County. These statutes include N.J.S.A 2C: 7-1 et seq. (The Registration and Notification of Release of Certain Offenders) and N.J.S.A. 2C: 43-6.4 (Special Sentence of Community Supervision for Life), Internet publication and Civil Commitment of Sexually Violent Predators.
- Identifies individuals subject to Megan’s Law
- Tracks their registration process
- Investigates the background of registrants
- Classifies the individuals as low, moderate or high risk
- Obtains necessary Court approvals of tier classifications and notifications
- Notifies the organizations or areas authorized by the Court
- Prosecutes those who violate various parts of Megan’s Law
The Unit also provides education concerning the functioning of Megan’s Law to law enforcement, members of the public, and professional groups including PTAs, day care providers, public school faculty and service organizations.
Seven people make up the unit: two Assistant Prosecutors, a Sergeant, two Detectives, an Agent, and an Administrative Assistant.
The following links may be of interest or assistance:
For more information, contact us at:
Phone: (732) 929-2027
Fax: (732) 288-7288
*The numbers on this site are not emergency numbers, Please call 911 for an emergency*